Weight Gain Shakes - Drink
Those Calories In!
Weight Gain Shakes are fun to make, absolutely delicious, and a perfect part of your healthy weight gain diet! Rather than give you recipes for specific
shakes, I'm going to give you the building blocks (plus some suggested combinations at the end of this page).
Variety is the spice of life, and you may not
always have the same ingredients on hand.
These ideas for whipping up healthy weight gain shakes will allow you to experiment, mix and match, and use what you've got in your kitchen at that time.
A couple of notes before you start - no raw eggs please! Also, make sure to
wash all fruits and vegetables well before adding them! I do want to mention that there are lots of weight gain powders on the market - you just mix with water or juice.
I'm not going to go so far as to say don't use them, but many are filled with scary artificial ingredients - to me, drinking these is not the
best way to gain weight.
The Help You Need is Finally Here!
Everything You Need To Know Is Right Here! Over 100 Pages Detailing the Most Effective Weight Gain Strategies, Plus a Day-by-Day Plan, are Yours in my New Book, 30-Day Weight-Gain Plan,
Available on Amazon Kindle! Click Here to Learn More.
Making your own weight gain shakes from scratch will leave you healthier (and your taste buds happier)! Add something from every category
and blend well in an electric blender. Or, If you're making a simple shake without chunky igredients, you can use a Blenderbottle - just shake and go!
Select 1 or More Ingredient
from Each Category and Blend!
- Start all your weight gain shakes with a scoop of protein powder. These powders provide a lot of protein, calories, and a whole host of
added vitamins and minerals.
- Protein Powder: Use 1 scoop (about 2 Tablespoons). There are now numerous choices when it comes to types of protein powder. They're all good, but read
below what I say about whey.
- Whey: whey is a by-product in the manufacture of cheese. It's the liquid that remains after milk has been curdled and strained.
- Brown Rice
- Egg White
If you have lactose intolerance, or any other problems consuming milk products, skip the whey protein and try one of the others, which are vegetarian.
Many people experience digestive problems from consuming whey protein powder. Symptoms include gas, bloating, and cramps.
Your best bet is to get unflavored, unsweetened protein powder. I once bought a brown rice powder, only to discover when I got it home that it was
berry-flavored. I was really limited by that - if I wanted a chocolate peanut-butter shake, I simply couldn't add the protein powder. Yuck!
The problem with many of the sweetened varieties is that they are sweetened artificially. You DO NOT want to be consuming artificial sweeteners as part
of your healthy weight gain diet! If you need some sweetness in your weight gain shakes, add one of the sweeteners I list in Category 6.
Jay Robb's Egg White Protein Powders." Free from artificial sweeteners, flavors and colors, preservatives and MSG, Jay Robb's Protein Powders
are considered by many to be the best-tasting protein powders on the planet! One taste of
this easy-to-mix (no clumping) delicious Egg White Protein, and you'll be a fan for life!
CATEGORY 2 -
You need something to thicken and add more protein and calories to your weight gain drink.
- 1/2 - 1 cup uncooked oats (grind in blender before adding any other ingredients)
- 1/2 cup pre-cooked and cooled grains
- Rice (brown is preferable, but white will do)
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) Tofu - smooth or silken. Don't worry, it adds no flavor.
- 1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Milk Powder
- 1/2 cup Eggbeaters (no raw eggs! Eggbeaters are pasteurized).
CATEGORY 3 - You need something to boost the calories, add a little more thickness, some healthy fats and great flavor to
your healthy weight gain shakes.
- 1 - 2 Tablespoon Nut Butters - high in calories, plant protein and good fats. Be sure to use only
all-natural nut butters that contain no hydrogenated vegetable oils (trans fats) or sweeteners - you don't want any of these unhealthy ingredients in your weight gain shakes.
Justin's Nut Butters
for my shakes. They have amazing flavors!
- Almond butter
- Peanut butter
- Cashew butter
- Pumpkin Seed butter
- 1/2 Avocado (this will really boost the good, healthy fats - adds a wonderful, creamy texture).
CATEGORY 4 -
You need a liquid - weight gain shakes shouldn't be so thick you can't drink them through a straw!
1/2 to 1 cup milk - you can go for cow's milk, but I prefer one of the following:
- Hemp milk
- Soy milk
- Almond milk
- Rice milk
- Flax milk
- Coconut milk - there are two commercial types of coconut milk: canned, which is very thick - you'll want to use only 1/2 cup and then add 1/2 cup water,
and not use it every day, as it is very high in fat and sometimes sweeteners. You can now buy cartons of thin coconut milk in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
You can use a full cup of this version and use it often.
Or, for less creamy and more fruity weight gain shakes, 1/2 to 1 cup Fruit Juice:
- Pineapple juice
- Apple juice
- Orange juice
- Mango nectar
- Guava nectar
- Papaya nectar
- Pineapple nectar
CATEGORY 5 -
Add some fruit for fiber, vitamins and calories. You can use fresh, frozen, or canned unsweetened. If you add frozen fruit, you will end up with a thicker weight gain shake.
- Banana - a half or a whole
- Berries - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries - 1/2 to 1 cup
- Pineapple - 1/2 to 1 cup chunks or slices
- Apple - a half or a whole, or 1/2 cup applesauce
- Mango, kiwi, peaches - use your imagination!
- Canned Pumpkin - 1/2 cup
- Cooked sweet potato chunks - 1/2 cup
CATEGORY 6 -
Add some extras to boost omega fatty acids (good fats). You can also add some extra flavor as well.
Boost the Essential Fatty Acids
- 1 Tablespoon Wheat Germ
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Flaxseeds (or add 1 teaspoon Flaxseed oil)
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Oat Bran
Add some Chocolate
- Carob powder - you'll need to add some sweetener
- Cocoa powder - you'll need to add some sweetener
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
Add some additional flavor
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon, Allspice, Pumpkin Pie Spice
Finally, supercharge it
. To make your healthy weight gain shakes even healthier, toss in:
- A handful of Leafy Green Vegetables, such as Spinach, Kale or Watercress. This addition will give you a good dose of extra vitamins, minerals,
anti-oxidants and other nutrients.
Healthy weight gain shakes are a perfect addition to your healthy weight gain diet. If you are in a situation where you simply can't eat solid food to help gain
weight (due to tooth or mouth problems or nausea), weight gain shakes may be the answer for you.
You Will Enjoy:
- Protein powder + rice milk + almond butter + banana + ground flax seed
- Protein powder + hemp milk + peanut butter + cocoa powder + agave syrup + wheat germ
- Protein powder + soy milk + blueberries + cooked, cooled oatmeal + maple syrup + cinnamon
- Protein powder + coconut milk + pineapple + honey + ground flax seed
- Protein powder + rice milk + plain yogurt + mango + agave syrup + flax oil
- Protein powder + mango nectar + yogurt + frozen strawberries + wheat germ + kale
- Protein powder + soy milk + canned pumpkin + 1/2 apple + maple syrup + cinnamon + ground flax seed
I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to gain needed weight. Weight gain shakes are a great addition to any diet to gain weight.
To learn more about foods to gain weight (plus other weight-gaining ideas), please refer to my best way to gain weight
and other weight gain pages.
"I Highly Recommend...
the Sundesa Blenderbottle. I was a skeptic, but
it really works! I have a friend who has 3 - she adds all her ingredients in the morning and then pops them in her cooler. She takes them with her and she's
set for the whole day. She shakes and blends each right before drinking. Great idea!
Healthy Weight Gain Pages
I understand that gaining weight can be difficult. Make sure to read all my pages on ways to gain weight. Also be sure to check out my pages on strength training exercises - building muscle is
so important! Healthy exercise and
healthy eating will both go a long way toward helping you gain weight and create the healthy lifestyle you deserve!
Please sign up for my free monthly newsletter, delivered to you via email . Not only will you receive some
interesting articles, but you will be automatically entered in my monthly drawing for a wonderful natural product!
RN, Certified Wellness Coach